When the ever-evolving technology and innovations in the digital world can transform the way businesses function, ensuring a robust IT system is crucial. It is particularly true for small businesses that can get a lot more done when they have a properly functioning IT system. But getting the right small business IT support can be a challenge, especially when you have a restricted budget.
If you’re in the process of hiring a small business IT support provider or looking for a new IT system, follow these steps to make sure you get the right system for your business.
What is Small Business IT Support Services?
IT or Information Technology is the process or system that includes the use of technology and devices we use, for instance, the internet, computers, websites, etc. IT support services are your all-in-solution that solves and assists in any IT-related issues to ensure your company’s network is always up and offers seamless technological support for uninterrupted business growth.
Though the services may vary based on your requirements and the vendor, common IT supports that businesses opt for are:
- Network administration, monitoring, and security
- Data storage, backup, protection, and retrieval
- Database management
- Process execution and implementation, and more!
Why Your Small Business Needs IT Support
The importance and benefits of outsourcing an IT service over an in-house team are beyond words.
Some of the advantages include:
As a small business, when you have so many things to spend on, like marketing, forming a solid team, branding, etc., investing in an in-house IT team is not viable.
Unlike an in-house team where you have to spend on building a robust IT infrastructure with data centers, security, cloud services, paid software, and maintenance, outsourcing the IT service is more convenient. It can turn fixed costs into variable costs and provides room to pay only for the services you use.
You would obviously have to pay a handsome amount for the outsourced services, but that is far less than your expense on an in-house IT infrastructure.
Ensures Constant Flow of Service
With the advancement in technology, managing the IT system for business development is getting tougher. For constant company growth, small startups must focus on modernising the sales and marketing department especially, employing the latest software and hardware solutions.
By handling all essential technicalities, an IT service provider ensures your company can run more efficiently.
Small startups that hire dedicated IT help can get more professional consultation and assistance whenever needed than those who don’t.
Ensuring a robust IT infrastructure employing the most advanced technologies like VoIP phone systems, hardware, software, etc., is complex, especially for people with less technical knowledge.
Outsourcing these services to a company that only deals with IT can better ensure your business runs on updated technology. With satisfactory consultation service, they guarantee independent businesses can grow more rapidly and thrive in the market.
Having a dedicated IT company for handling your IT system means your team can better focus on their core functionalities. These support companies also offer preventive measures to ensure your business website is always up and faces fewer downtimes that will ultimately boost productivity.
Improved Security and Compliance
From blocking unethical data access to bypassing computer viruses, you must be conscious about cybersecurity for a highly secured IT system. Unless you have onboarded highly efficient IT specialists in your in-house team, chances are you have put your sensitive business data at risk!
Small business IT support services also excel here by leveraging data security strategy. With industry-leading security measures, advanced IT services guarantee to prevent unwanted data breaches for safeguarding your business information and clients.
The security services they offer cover:
- Network firewalls and segmentation
- Protected remote access
- 24/7 network monitoring and testing
- Audit compliance
- Data backup, testing, and disaster recovery
- Email phishing monitoring, and more!
How to Choose the Right Small Business IT Support
Small business IT support is more than ensuring peripheral setups and software updates. Hence, you must be thoughtful while evaluating the company and choosing the best one that can help you flourish.
To pick the appropriate service, keep the following factors in mind:
- The Size of the Company: The IT company you choose must be big enough to offer you an array of quality services, but not so large that it cannot pay heed to your inquiries. As a startup, a one-man-army service may seem fine to you. But as your company expands, you would need more advanced and sophisticated IT support. Make sure you choose a company that comes with a full spectrum of support and services.
- Understand Your Company Needs: Do you need more advanced services like VoIP? Does your healthcare service company need HIPAA authorised security? You don’t have to create a complete checklist, but before hiring, make sure you evaluate your basic requirements.
- Consider the Location: While most of your IT issues can be handled remotely, you may need on-site services sometimes. A service that is way far from your business cannot offer prompt on-site support. It’s best if you can choose a reputed local firm.
- Reliable Customer Service: Never count on doing business with an IT company that doesn’t offer excellent customer service. When their technical team is accountable for keeping your system updated, shopping for a reliable IT support provider is critical. Besides, make sure they provide remote troubleshooting and have prompt response times to resolve any urgent issue over the clock.
- Experience and Certification: It is another significant factor you cannot overlook. As a small business, you cannot rely on an IT company that will learn working on your system and machines; instead, you need credible support experienced enough on what they are serving. A compelling way to scale the experience level is to check the certifications the employees hold.
- Data Security: Your business should be wrapped with layers of security to protect your sensitive data from cyber-attacks. Shop for an IT service that features data protection and plans tailored to your budget and business requirements. They must come with top-notch security measures to make your regulated company stay compliant. Before hiring a service, check if they ensure proper training on data security to keep their services up-to-date.
- Cost: As a small business, the amount you have to spend for IT support also plays a vital role in your decision-making process. You may have to pay around £750-£6000/month based on the small business size and staff. This price covers the support hours, answering your inquiries, monitoring your system, and maintaining data and machines mostly. Make sure the company you finalise provides a transparent tech budget compatible with your business. If you have a set budget, they should offer a consultation service to help you get the best service and equipment within you.